Applying to College
- You may apply to college as an Ontario high school graduate or as a mature student. All applications to college must be sent to the Ontario College Application Centre (www.ontariocolleges.on.ca), not to individual colleges.
- You must have the prerequisites and marks for the program you want. Please check the college websites or come into Student Services to obtain copies of the college calendars.
- Most college programs begin in September (Fall start). Some college programs begin in January or May. (One application is valid for 3 entry times from September to May.)
- You may be required to write college entrance or assessment tests for some college programs. Check with the college and check your e-mail carefully for information once you have applied.
- September start: You should apply before February 1st. Applications received by OCAS after February 1st are considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Space will be extremely limited and some programs may be full.
- January or May start: You can apply at any time as long as you have the prerequisites and there is space in the program.
- Please note that having the minimum requirements for a college program does not guarantee entrance into that program. Your application will be considered but only the strongest applicants will be chosen until the course is full. Therefore, obtaining the highest marks possible and exceeding the minimum requirements will improve your chances of being accepted.
The Ontario Colleges website is an easy to follow site that assists students in the planning and application to any Ontario college. The Student Services department of Yorkdale assists attending students through the application process.
The Ontario Student Assistance Program site assists students in the student loan application for a post-secondary education. The Financial Aid office of each post-secondary institution can work with students through this process.
EQUAL CONSIDERATION DEADLINE: February 1
You must have a valid e-mail address in order to apply. Complete your application as soon as possible, especially for oversubscribed and highly competitive programs. See a Guidance Counsellor if you get stuck! Always try on your own first.
1. Go to www.ontariocolleges.ca
2. Click on “Apply”.
3. You may want to watch the applicant tutorial before you begin your application. http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/Documents/videos/applicant-tutorial-eng.mp4
4. Select the option that applies to you in order to continue:
o Sign Up Today – if you have NEVER created an account with www.ontariocolleges.ca
5. Complete the personal information section. Take note of your username and password, as you will need them each time you login to your application. By default, your username will be your email address. Deselect the checkbox to enter a username of your choice. Record your username and password HERE for the next time:
USERNAME_____________________________ PLEASE WRITE IT DOWN HERE!!!
PASSWORD_____________________________ PLEASE WRITE IT DOWN HERE!!!
6. Click “I Agree to the Terms and Conditions” to continue to the next step.
7. An email will be sent to the email address provided during account creation. Click on the link within the email to activate your account. Please note: You will not be able to log in without activating your account.
8. Click on the link to access the log in screen. Login using your USERNAME and PASSWORD.
9. Read the “Privacy Statement”, click in checkbox and click on “I accept the Privacy Statement”.
10. Record your ACCOUNT NUMBER here: _________________________________________________
11. In “My Profile”, a checkmark will appear after each section is completed. All sections (even if they don’t apply to you) must be completed, in order, when you complete your application the first time. Click “Save” in order to move on to the next section.
12. When entering your Education in “Add Canadian High School Education”, please note that Yorkdale Secondary School is found under “NORTH YORK” for city and NOT “Toronto”. Also, choose “Yorkdale Secondary School” for your school and NOT “Yorkdale Adult Learning Centre”.
13. You are also asked for your “OEN” NUMBER: __________________________________________*** NOT your Student Number ***. You can find this on your timetable under OEN.
It is extremely important to get the city, school name and OEN number correct at this point, as you will not be able to change them later. This is how we can automatically send your transcript to Ontario Colleges for you.
14. Click on “My Applications” and select the date range of when you wish to start college.
15. Record your APPLICATION NUMBER here: ______________________________________________
16. The “Received Date” will be populated once your application fee payment has been received and processed. Your application fee allows you to apply to a maximum of 5 programs with no more than 3 programs at any one college. List your programs in order of preference.
17. On the “Manage My Program Choices” page you can search for programs by college or program names. Make your choices. When you select a program choice, then the college code, the campus code and the start date will be automatically generated.
18. Click “Save and Continue”, then fill in the “Basis of Admission” section.
19. DO NOT request an Ontario secondary school transcript. We will automatically send this information to OCAS for you at the end of every quadmester.
20. Your application will be sent to your college choices when OCAS receives your non-refundable application processing fee. You can pay by credit card, online banking, telephone banking, certified cheque or money order.
21. Print out a copy of your application for your records.
22. To double-check that your application has been submitted, view the Application History screen.
23. Once your application processing fee has been approved, OCAS will mail you a yellow verification form within 48 hours.
Need Help? Some Suggestions:
– Check the online help feature
– refer to the ‘Ontario College Handbook’ or ’How to Apply’
– see your counsellor
– call OCAS Applicant Services at: 1-888-892-2228
– If you applied last year, you must use the same USERNAME and PASSWORD. Forgot it??? Don’t worry! Phone the toll-free number above.
You must always use your USERNAME and PASSWORD. Keep them in a safe place!