Yorkdale’s Pre-Apprenticeship Hairstyling Program enables students to learn the valuable theory and technical skills needed to earn a hairstyling certificate while also earning credits towards their secondary school diploma. All classes are taught by highly skilled and experienced hairstylists who are also qualified teachers.
Yorkdale’s Hairstyling program runs only once a year from September to June.
REGISTRATION IS ON: August 2021 Date to Be Announced
In this one year program (September to June) students can:
- earn 12 credits towards their secondary school diploma
- earn a Yorkdale Hairstyling Certificate
- qualify to write the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities’ basic and advanced exemption exams excusing students from further in school course work
Yorkdale’s Pre-Apprenticeship Hairstyling Certificate Program is structured as follows:
- 36 weeks – 1080 hours
- Classes are from 8:25-3:15 – Monday to Friday
- 2 Work Experience Placements in a licensed hair salon
To register for Yorkdale’s Pre-Apprenticeship Hairstyling Certificate Program you must:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- 18 – 20 with OSSD
- Pass Yorkdale’s English Assessment or have completed a grade 11 College English Credit within the last 3 years
- Pass an interview with a Yorkdale staff member (Resume required)
Please Note: Spaces are limited and it is a competition for the program spots. An interview does not signify acceptance in the program
The following costs are associated with this tuition free program:
$ 30.00 Activity Fee
$600.00 Kit and books
*All costs are approximate and may change based on service provider costs.
Please remember that to be a hairstylist in Ontario you require an OSSD and or equivalent from your home country.
Please see below for comparison chart of the different pathways to becoming a Hairstylist in Ontario: