Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct
The Code which follows is the basis for building positive behaviours to achieve the stated mission of this Board. Toronto District School Board schools are centres of learning which emphasize mutual respect and self-worth.
Build Character, Build Success
Yorkdale Adult Learning Centre and Secondary School prides itself in offering a safe, caring, and inclusive learning environment where each student feels valued. Our teachers’ focus on academic success in the classroom is accompanied by the promotion of positive social, physical and emotional development of our students.
The positive character attributes which we promote are:
Responsibility Empathy Respect Teamwork Perseverance
Fairness Honesty Integrity Co-operation Kindness and Caring
At Yorkdale, students and teachers engage in educational experiences that are intended to be instructive, creative and satisfying. The learning process requires students to select a program and develop attitudes and skills that will help them to be productive and successful in the workplace while acting as compassionate and responsible members of society. Students are encouraged to develop the self-discipline necessary to learn as individuals, as well as the social skills to work along with others.
Punctual, daily attendance is vital to the process of learning. The process and content of learning are disrupted by irregular attendance. Students are expected to attend regularly in order to maximize learning. It is the responsibility of the student to catch up on missed work. It is recommended that students provide updated phone numbers and e-mail addresses to guidance.
To promote a safe and harmonious environment where all people can learn, work and plan, schools and school-sponsored activities must be free from:
- conduct which endangers others, i.e. physical assaults, threats or intimidation and possession or use of weapons
- inflict or encourage others to inflict bodily harm on another person, and must seek staff assistance, if necessary, to resolve conflict peacefully
- disrespectful behaviour
- profane or inappropriate language
- racial, ethnic or sexual harassment
- use of cell phones, pagers, and any other communication device is prohibited in all Toronto District School Board Schools
- smoking on school property
- inappropriate dress (eg: no hoods or sunglasses)
- alcohol, drug or substance
Students are to be treated with respect and dignity. In return, they must demonstrate respect for themselves, for others and for the responsibilities of citizenship through acceptable behaviour.
Respect and responsibility are demonstrated when a student:
- comes to school prepared, on time and ready to learn
- shows respect for themselves, for others and for those in authority
- refrains from bringing anything to school that may compromise the safety of others
- follows the established rules and takes responsibility for his or her own actions
Standards of Behaviour Respect, civility and responsible citizenship
All school members must:
- respect and comply with all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws
- demonstrate honesty and integrity
- respect differences in people, their ideas and opinions
- treat one another with dignity and respect at all times, especially when there is a disagreement
- respect and treat others fairly, regardless of their race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability
- respect the rights of others
- show proper care and regard for school property and the property of others
- take appropriate measures to help those in need
- respect persons who are in a position of authority
- respect the need of others to work in an environment of learning and teaching
To provide a secure, healthy and clean facility, students are expected to:
- consume food and drink only within designated eating areas
- take precautions for the security of their own property
- show care and respect for the property of the Board and that of others
- observe the Toronto District School Board policy of a smoke-free environment
- deposit all garbage in the containers provided
- strictly observe the parking regulations
Circumstances will be carefully considered. Failure to comply with these policies will result in a meeting with guidance/vice principal and or principal to discuss program options, and may result in a student being demitted from the program at Yorkdale.