Personal Support Worker
PERSONAL SUPPORT WORKER CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
For a video on the School Board PSW Programs, click on the link below:
Next registration date is August 31, 2015
For registration details please go to the Student Services Tab
Info Session dates: (1:30 pm in cafeteria)
- If you miss the info session this is the Presentation3
- May 13, 2015
PSW has 4 intakes a year: September, November, February, and April
Yorkdale’s Personal Support Worker Program enables students to gain the knowledge and skills necessary for a career in this growing health care field. Yorkdale’s PSW program meets Ontario Government standards and prepares students to support clients and their families in their homes and in long-term and other health care facilities. All classes are taught by highly qualified teachers who are also experienced health care professionals.
Yorkadale PSW Mandate:
Yorkdale Adult Learning Centre is dedicated to providing training to the next generation of Personal Support Workers preparing them for careers as healthcare professionals and as contributing members of multidisciplinary healthcare teams. Yorkdale will continue to partner with the healthcare community to ensure we can meet the needs of the employers and those of the clients to whom we will be providing professional and compassionate care.
In this 27 week program students can:
- Earn 9 credits towards your secondary school diploma
- Earn a Personal Support Worker Certificate
- Gain real world work experience through a clinical and community Co-op placement
Yorkdale’s 27 week Personal Support Worker (PSW) Certificate Program has two components:
Please note hours are non-negotiable
In–school (18 weeks)
- Monday-Friday, 8:25 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Out-of-school (9 weeks)
- Monday- Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
To register in Yorkdale’s Personal Support Worker Certificate Program you must:
- Be 21 years of age of older. Under 21 OSSD required.
- Pass Yorkdale’s English Assessment or have completed a grade 11 college English credit with in the last 3 years at a minimum of 60% or higher
- Pass an interview with a Yorkdale staff member (Resume required)
Once accepted into the Program applicants must be able to show proof of:
- Updated immunization, hepatitis B, flu shot, Step 2 T.B skin test
- Criminal Reference check (with no offenses, discharges or withdrawn charges)
The following is a list of the approximate costs for the program:
(Please note that Yorkdale is a tuition free school)
$ 40.00 (Activity fee)
$ 150.00 Textbook study guide
$ 100.00 Medical form
$ 20.00 Criminal Reference Check
$ 115.00 Level C CPR/Standard First Aid
$ 200.00 Hepatitis B
$ 60.00 TB test
$ 100.00 Uniform and shoes
$ 20.00 Mask Fitting
$300.00 Clinical Supervision Fee
Please note the above approximate costs are not all paid to the school but may be paid to independent service providers. If we can verify that you are already in possession of one or more of the requirements you will not be required to repurchase it. A payment schedule will be provided in your orientation package on registration into the program.